Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Perfect Holiday

I just came back from my vacation. 8 days on the shores of Shuswap Lake. The weather wasn't the greatest, between the wind and the rain we managed to get a sunny break here and there, the cost of our campsite went up, the store ran out of icecream, the trains were as loud as ever and we even got a flat tire on the way there.


You know what? It was the best holiday.

Not one of those things mattered because what mattered the most was the people who were there with us.

I came home thinking that

God has given me the best
family in the world.
We laughed together, ate together, fished together and laughed some more.
We geocached, watched movies, did a puzzle and went for long walks. I watched my girls as they bonded with their friends and I tried my best to capture it all through my camera.
I loved watching my husband tease "the boys" and I got caught up with my sisters-in-law (they really are special ladies).


My nieces and nephews are just too fun for words...there was hardly a moment that we weren't entertained.
I marvelled as my parents opened their hearts (and their trailer) to all their granddaughters' friends. Their hospitality knows no bounds.





And my mother-in-law mothered them all,
as only she can do, with food, bandaids,
dry towels
and wisdom.


I've always known that's it's not what you do that is important but who you are with. And who I was with made my holiday perfect.













(Justine, Jenna, Graham, Eleah, Maggie, Me, James & Karlee)

4 comments:

J &; L said...

You created some great memories for the future. Families are fun but they do grow up.

Jack

Steve said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. Whats the story behind Tony's "big catch"

Dawnelle said...

Hey Steve... There really isn't any story behind his "big" fish except that we didn't even know it was on the line until Tony decided to check it! LOL He was pretty tiny. Go to my FB photos to see the "real" fish!

Sarah said...

Steve needs to get FB, then he'd be in the loop... Love your writing Dawnelle! I agree that it doesn't matter about the weather, etc, it's the company that is important.
When we were in Salmon Arm, we had a day and a half of rain and thunder storms... but that one stormy afternoon when the kids watched movies and my sister and husband and Steve and I all sat around inside their trailer enjoying a cup of coffee... that was a great time! And that was the only time on the trip that we got "adult conversation" because the kids were contained and we were not all-consumed with them. And it wouldn't have happened if it hadn't been raining!!!