Thursday, May 13, 2010

Be Still

The older I get the more I realize that I really don't like wasting time. And if you're over 40 maybe you're feeling this way too? It's not that I don't love my leisure time, I really do, I just often feel that I need to be doing at least two things at once, even when I'm relaxing. And I'm not sure why that is, all I know is that it's getting worse.

When I drive I listen to an audiobook.
When I clean my house the TV is always on.
When I watch TV I knit.
When I talk on the phone I empty my dishwasher.
When I have to wait I read a book.

I'm not sure why this has been on my mind... maybe because I've noticed that I become anxious when I am forced to do nothing. Am I afraid to be alone with my own thoughts? I'm not sure.

I know what the Bible will tell me, they are words that I have heard and sung my whole life...
"Be still and know that I am God..."

But can I take them to heart?

2 comments:

Peggy said...

You sound like me (not sure if that's good or not). I retired, but can't sit still - and when I finish my tasks for the day, I sometimes wander around wondering what I can find to do. Maybe those are the times to touch bases with God!!

Peggy said...

You have received blogger awards from Peg