Tuesday, June 10, 2008

An Eye on the Prize

"Whose dumb idea was this anyway?" I asked.
"Pretty sure it was yours," says my friend Carol, "Don't you remember?"
"Yah, well it seemed like a good idea at the time."

That was the conversation we had on Sunday afternoon while perched on the mountainside 3 kilometres above the little town of Yale in the Fraser Canyon. My legs were screaming, my lungs were gasping for oxygen but I was determined to get to the end of this trail. Why? Because there was a stupid piece of tupperware hidden in a cave, just waiting for me to find it!

I know, I know... I'm obsessed with geo-caching. Yes, I can say it out loud and yes, Terry, I know that makes me a geek. But we all need something we're passionate about right? This is my thing. I love the challenge of finding something that's been hidden in the middle of acres & acres of forest... testing my observation skills and getting me to places I would have never considered before. And when I am soaked from the rain, splattered in mud and covered in a stinging nettle rash I keep my eye on the prize. It is what keeps me going when it seems too hard and I want to give up.


"But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

Sometimes the life lessons are just so obvious. I love it when God does that.

3 comments:

Louise said...

You did this for tupperware??!! Too funny - but thanks for describing your 'hobby' (I can't spell it at the moment & don't want to go back to check) because I've seen that term used lots lately and didn't have a clue what it was! Sounds like fun!

Dawnelle said...

I should clarify.. there is 'treasure' and a logbook inside the tupperware. When you find it you get credit for it online. It is fun and addicting!

J &; L said...

I was intriqued by your question and I liked the lesson you draw from your experience. When in difficulty we are prone to ask, "Why?" or "How did I get into this mess?" These are good questions because they indicate a readiness to learn. It is interesting that improvement and achievement so often come through discomfort, misery and sometimes pain, is it not?

Jack Block