No, I'm not doing the dishes from the night before. I am enjoying the show outside.
I have two feeders... one at the kitchen window and another outside my diningroom window. A constant source of amusement - they chirp, fight, divebomb and eat - while we watch in amazement. And boy do they ever eat. Did you know...
- A hummingbird must consume approximately 1/2 of its weight in sugar daily. The average hummingbird feeds 5-8 times per hour.
- Hummingbirds cannot walk or hop, though their feet can be used to scoot sideways while they are perched.
- When still, the hummingbird's heart beats 500 times a minute and doubles when excited.
- They can fly right, left, up and down, backwards and even upside down, and they move their wings about fifty times a second. They are extremely fast in flight and able to change directions instantly.
- Despite their small size they are extremely aggressive and will often fight over food, mates and territory. They will even attack crows and jays.
- At night, their "thermal generators" shut down as they rest, and allow their body temperature to drop, so that less energy is used up while they sleep. This deep sleep is called "torpor."
I stand there and watch these incredible creatures. Perfectly and uniquely designed by an incredible Creator. And it makes me wonder - how can anyone possibly believe in evolution?